Peder D4

Discussion of politics and other odious things

Monday, June 16, 2008

Huck for VP?

I keep seeing that suggestion around the net and I think it's a terrible one. If McCain taps the Huckster for his running mate then I'll be casting a vote for Bob Barr. It's that simple. The man's blend of populism and identity politics aren't something I can support in any measure. Frankly, I hope that someone steps forward in the next four years and challenges him intellectually so we can pull the curtain back.
There's a strong intersection between conservatism and religious belief. Evangelicals and other religious folks are a strong core element of the right here in America. Currently they're being seduced by the idea that government, used properly, can be a useful tool for helping people. In the beginning (and in small doses) that's probably true. The problem is that it won't stay there. The tools will get bigger and unrecognizable. What started out as noble and pure will become bureaucratic and tainted.
Remember when Reagan said that the scariest words were "I'm from the government and I'm here to help,"? I wish someone would remind Huck about that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home