Peder D4

Discussion of politics and other odious things

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Polanski

It seems that the whole Polanski debate is setting up along the left/right cultural divide. For the life of me, I can't figure out why it would. The crime was too icky to be merely brushed away as some kind of sexual hangup thing. The due process territory is pretty clear and not really in an area where battles are normally fought.
The only thing I can think of is that the left is generally more sympathetic to artists. I get that (and don't have any issue with it) but I can't believe it's really enough to cover this. At least I don't want to believe it.

Update: This post here suggests that there is also a divide between elite and rank and file on the left. I don't remember a similar divide in the past.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Jen said...

I think this is a stretch to say the least. Private sector peoples in a criminal case and you're making it about politics? Polanski's a creep and a rapist that's not about left and right. And I find it interesting that when left, right, and rape really do come together you conveniently ignore it because it goes against your political leanings.
http://www.truthout.org/1023099
A few actors coming to the defense of someone that they've worked with is reprehensible but legislators siding with corporations over victims is inexcusable

6:26 AM  
Blogger Peder said...

Back when this was a hot issue, the comments I saw on blogs seemed to fall largely into a left/right pattern. And Polanski's most vocal critics were largely leftist celebrities. This doesn't mean that I think liberals are rapists or anything like that.
I hadn't heard of the Franken amendment case. If the Truthout.org summary is accurate, then I'd side with Franken.

8:11 PM  
Blogger James Colby said...

I admit, I don't read many blogs, but I watch some MSNBC and listen to Air America radio from time to time and those are pretty hard core liberal sources. They, along with me, were very critical of Polanski and did not seem to care that he was an old man or even about the details of the case. They all just wanted him in jail.

Once again, I didn't read about it in the blogs.

Yes the Franken Ammendment was a good thing. Some republicans tried to make it about private contracts even though it was specifically about military contracts and they took the opposite view regarding ACORN. A few Republicans did actually vote for the Franken ammendment in the end.

8:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home